Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Brother, please lay down your stone!


"Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted."  Galatians 6:1 KJV (Italics added)

Two of my favorite accounts in the Word of God are the found in John Chapter 8 and in Luke Chapter 15.  Two of the most beautiful illustrations of forgiveness, love and grace in all of recorded literature!  It is said that Charles Dickens commenting on the story of The Prodigal Son said it was the greatest short story ever told.  He was no slouch at story-telling himself.  We know these two accounts to be more than just stories or a parable of course...they are the preserved for us in Holy Scripture!

I find myself draw to the characters of both accounts in much different ways than I did as a younger man.  I do not wish to be preachy, judgemental or in any way set myself up as any authority on the subject.  My aim is simply to sound a cautionary note to those in the family as Galatians 6:1 illustrates.

As a young man, I identified more with the older brother of Luke 15 than with the wasted life of the younger son.  I would never forsake my heavenly father and live simply for pleasure and my own selfish desires!  Looking back, of course now, I know that I did exactly that.  I have experienced both parts and can understand the reluctance of those who never forsook the Father, to rejoice in my reinstatement to His loving embrace!  The thought occurs to me, that not everyone is happy to see the penitent soul return and it may be one reason why some do not. 

The adulterous woman in John 8 was the object of pity and yes scorn in my youth.  If you break God's commandments, you deserve to be punished!  I prided myself that I would never fall into that sin and gripped the stone I held in my legalistic fingers ever so tightly!  Now, however, that I am the beneficiary of being lifted out of that same dust, I have only gratitude in my heart that I am not condemned my gracious Lord.  I must heed his admonition to repent and go and sin no more. In light of the Lord's grace extended to my life, dear brother can you forgive me too and please lay down your stone?

             Crushed by sin, my substance wasted,
                  cast down in shame, no hiding place.
            Awaiting stones thrown in condemnation,
                 yet, the Master sheds his grace!
           Will you not rejoice with me, my brother,
                though I left you at the plow alone?
           Knowing I don't deserve our Father's mercy,
                brother please forgive and lay down your stone! 




1 comment: